These days it is a constant struggle to bring out new breakfast ideas. So this upma is a much needed change from the regular breakfast menu. Vermicelli upma is a simple, healthy and nutritious breakfast recipe. Bambino vermicelli upma is full of bright vegetables which makes it a feast for the eyes. It is easy on the stomach, high in fbre and low in calories. Here is the receipe for vermicelli upma.
1 tsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tsp Cashewnuts
2 tsp Peanuts
2 Green chillies
1/2 inch Ginger
1/4 cup Peas
4 1/2 cups Water
3 tblsp Oil
2 tblsp Ghee
3 sprig Curry Leaves
Salt to taste
- Chop the onions, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots into small cubes. Slit the green chilly lengthwise and grate the ginger. Keep them aside
- In a kadai, dry roast the vermicelli stirring constantly till light brown and a sweet aroma is released. Roasting of vermicelli ensures that the vermicelli does not become a mushy pulp on boiling. All the strands are separate.
- Heat the oil and add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they start to crackle, add peanuts and cashewnuts. Fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add chopped potatoes, carrots and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add chillies,ginger ,onions, peas and tomatoes.
- Cook until they are done. Sprinkle some water if the vegetables start to stick.
- After that add salt and 41/2 cups of water, cover with a lid and let it boil .
- When the water comes to boil add vermecelli and simultaneously stir ( so that no lumps are formed).
- Cover the upma with a lid for 5-6 minutes and then add 2tbsp of ghee and stir well.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.