There are very many versions of chocolate chilli chicken, but I chose this one as it’s fantastically quick and easy to make. I can’t say it’s authentic, but it does have the wow factor when eaten, and the Venezuelan chocolate adds a deep rich glossy finish and flavour.”
- Cuisine: Venezuelan
- Recipe Type: Main
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 20 mins
- Cooking Time: 50 mins
- Serves: 4
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 150 g Venezuelan dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 25 g coriander leaves, chopped or torn
- 4 banana shallots, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 3 oranges, juice and zest only
- 3 fresh red chillies, finely diced
- 2 tsp dried mulatto chillies (or other mild chillies)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. In a casserole dish, sauté the shallots and the garlic in the olive oil, then add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides.
- Add the orange juice and zest, fresh and dried chillies, coriander seeds, tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes. Pop on the lid and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, lift out the chicken and stir the chocolate into the remaining sauce.
- Serve with the sauce smothered over the chicken with generous amounts of chopped or torn coriander leaves.