Turai or Tori is a simple yet very nutritious vegetable. It is generally avoided because it looks cumbersome to cook with. But trust me this pressure cooker recipe of turai ki Sabzi is going to make you include this Sabzi as a regular in your weekly menu. The addition of curry leaves gives it an all together new dimension.
This Tori ki Sabzi can also be made into a semi dry side vegetable to go along with any other dry vegetable too like mushroom, aloo gobhi or parwal aloo ki Sabzi.
Torai is a great vegetable to lose weight. It has high water content and dietary fibre. This turai is Sabzi is low in calorie and healthy too. It can be made quickly and can be made part of healthy lunch or dinner. Read along to know how to make this healthy turai is Sabzi
Total Time: 20 mins
Serves: 2 – 3
1 tsp Ginger grated
1 medium size Tomato chopped
Few Curry leaves
1 Green Chilly Slit lengthewise
1 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tblsp Green Coriander chopped
1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- Peel the tori, wash and chop them into small cubes.
- Heat a pan or pressure cooker which ever u prefer. Though cooking in pressure cooker reduces the cooking time considerably and also retains the nutrients of turai.
- Now add cumin seeds, when they begin to sputter add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Lower the flame and add green chilly and grated ginger. Stir for few seconds and then add turmeric powder, chopped tomato , salt and chopped turai. Stir immediately and then add 1 tblsp of water.
- Do not add too much water as turai itself will release lots of water when cooked.
- If using pressure cooker put the weight and let it cook for 3 – 4 whistles. And if using open pan then cover it and let it simmer for 15 – 20 mins on low flame or till done.
- Once done with the help of a ladle smash turai pieces and garnish with chopped green coriander.
- If you want to make it more dry then cook on high flame for few more minutes and then swtich off the flame and a few minutes later add the lemon juice.