Palak paneer is a popular north Indian recipe cooked using spinach and fresh cottage cheese. Learn how to make easy palak paneer.
250 gms of cottage cheese (cut cubes and lightly fried till brown in a tsp of clarified butter)
1 tsp cumin seed
3 to 4 bay leaf
4 tomatoes (blanched in hot water, peeled and pureed)
1 inch piece of ginger
7-8 garlic flakes
2 green chili
Pinch of sugar granules
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
3/4 tsp dry mango powder
3 tsp oil
1 tsp butter
1 tsp fresh cream
- Remove spinach leaves from stem and wash leaves well.
- Take 2 glasses of water when it starts to boil, then add spinach, onions, green chili, garlic and ginger with a pinch of sugar granules to it. Let it boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Switch of the heat and let the spinach cool down.
- Blend the spinach mixer in a blender and make a thick spinach paste.
- Heat a heavy bottomed wok; add oil and butter to it, when the oil is hot add cumin seed and bay leaves. When a cumin seed starts to crackle add the tomato paste and let it cook for 5-6 minute on medium heat. Then add spinach paste along with spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and dry mango powder; let it cook further for another 5 minute.
- Add the fried pieces of cottage cheese and mix it well. Cook and cover on low heat for 4-5 minute.
- Take it out in a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cream.
- Serve hot with rotis or steamed rice.