Mutton Rara is a very unique mutton recipe as it combines the mutton pieces along with the mutton keema or Gosht mince in it. This recipe is absoultely lipsmacking.The real trick in cooking this dish is that it requires lot of patience and time for the bhuno process which is essential must in all Punjabi dishes.But all the time and effort is really worth while. Learn how to make Mutton Rahra Punjabi style.
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs + 3 hrs Marination
Serves: 2- 3
200 gms Mutton Keema (Mutton Mince)
3 – 4 onions chopped
2 tblsp Ginger Garlic and Green Chilli Paste
1 tsp Red Kashmiri Chilly Powder (Kashmiri Lal Mirch)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 1/2 tblsp Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
1 tsp Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
2 Green Chillies Slit Lengthwise
1/2 cup Beaten Curd
1 tsp crushed dried Kasoori Methi (Fenugreek Leaves)
1/2 cup Ghee / Mustard Oil
Sat To Taste
3 – 4 Cloves
2 Green Cardamom
2 Brown Cardamom
1 ” Cinnamon Stick
1 Tej Patta
1 tblsp Green Coriander Chopped
1 tblsp Ginger Julienne
- In a bowl marinate – mutton pieces, curd, salt. Mix well and keep it aside for 3 – 4 hours.
- Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add tej patta and all the whole spices.
- After 30 seconds add the chopped onions. Fry the onions till they nice dark brown color.
- Add the ginger garlic and chilli paste and further cook till all the raw smell disappers.
- Add all dry spices – Red Chilly Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder and salt. Mix well. Make sure the masala does not burn.
- If you feel the masala is burning add 1 tblsp of water and cook till water evaporates.
- Now add the keema mixture and cook / bhuno it for 10 minutes till the keema is done and it gets brown color.
- Now add the marinated mutton and again start the bhuno process. Keep stiring the mutton and cook till mutton gets cooked completely
- and a thick gravy consistency is reached.
- The color of the gravy should turn dark brown from all the sauteing /bhuno process. Mutton rahra tastes best when cooked in mustard oil without the use of water.
- Now add the slit green chillies and crushed kasori methi.
- Dish out the mutton in a bowl and garnish with chopped green coriander and ginger juliennes.
- Serve with Naan, Tandoori Roti or Phulka.