Methi Matar Malai is part of every North Indian Menu. The combination of fenugreek leaves and green peas cooked in cream and milk is simply awesome. The Indian fenugreek peas and cream curry is very creamy textured and tastes great when served with Indian breads.
Cooking time : 30 mins
1 cup boiled green peas
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp green chili paste
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup chopped Tomato
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp dry mango powder
1/2 cup fresh cream
1/2 tsp white Pepper
1/2 cup milk
Salt to taste
- Take finely chopped fenugreek leaves in a big bowl and sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt on it. Mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes. Then squeeze out the water from leaves so that it loses its bitter taste. If you like you can even deep fry the chopped leaves and not boil. This will keep the leaves crunchy.
- Soak the cashewnuts in warm water for 20 minutes and then grind in a very smooth paste using littel water.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add cumin seeds when they start to splutter add onions and saute. The color of the onion should remain pink otherwise the color of the curry will become dark.
- Add ginger garlic paste along with green chili paste and saute for 3-4 minute or till the raw smell stops coming.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add the chopped fenugreek leaves and cook for 5 minute. (Do not cover the pan as fenugreek leaves losses its green color.)
- As soon as fenugreek leaves has mixed well and nice aroma is emitted add the boiled peas along with dry mango powder and salt. Cook for another 5 minute.
- Add the cream, cashewnut paste and milk. Let it simmer on the slow flame till we get the thick consistency gravy. Stir constantly otherwise the cashewnut paste may get burnt.
- Delicious methi malai matar is ready to be served with roti or naan.