This Indian classic is ideal served with rice or warm naan bread. For a fresh-tasting accompaniment, make a raw relish of finely chopped red onion, chopped coriander, and diced, skinned tomato, well seasoned with a dash of olive oil and lemon juice.
This recipe involves 8-24 hours marinating time.
- Cuisine: Indian
- Recipe Type: Main
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- Cooking Time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts lemon slices, to garnish
For the marinade
- 100 ml plain full-fat yogurt
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp Madras (hot) curry powder
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together in a large, non-metallic bowl with 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Trim the chicken breasts and make slits in the flesh. Add the chicken to the bowl and coat in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for 8–24 hours, so the chicken has time to absorb all the flavours.
- Line a grill pan with foil and preheat the grill on its highest setting for about 5 minutes before cooking.
- Drain the chicken breasts, shaking off excess marinade, and discard the marinade. Arrange the chicken on the grid of the grill pan. Reduce the grill heat to a medium-high setting.
- Grill the chicken, about 10cm (4in) from the heat, for about 6 minutes on each side. Test the chicken is ready by inserting a knife into the thickest part of the breast. The chicken is done when the juices run clear.
- You can either slice the chicken before serving or leave the breast whole. Garnish with lemon slices.