Besan (gram flour) – 2 tblsp
Oil (tel) (tel) – 3 tblsp
Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
Onion (pyaj) (chopped)- one
Green chilli (slit) (deseeded and chopped)- one
Red chilli (lal mirch) powder – 1/2 tblsp
Chopped coriander – 1 tblsp
Salt (namak) – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Lemon juice – 1/2 tblsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Makhani Gray :
Tomatoes (tamatar) (chopped roughly) – 250 gms
Ginger (adrak) paste – 1/2 tsp
Garlic (lasan) paste – 1/2 tsp
Green chilli – one
Red chilli (lal mirch) powder – 1/2 tsp
Laung (cloves)- 2
Choti elaichi (green cardamom)- one
Salt to taste
Butter – 2 tblsp
Honey- 1 tsp
Kasoori methi – 1 tblsp
- Pressure cook the whole arbi with three cups of water to give one whistle.
- Keep on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fire. Cool and drain.
- To prepare makhani gray, put tomatoes in a bandi, add one cup of water, ginger and garlic paste, green chilli, red chilli powder, laung and chot elaichi.
- Boil. Cover and cook on low heat till it is reduced to a saucy consistency.
- Remove from fire.
- Blend in a mixer.
- Strain into a clean pan.
- Add butter. Stir in honey.
- Add salt to taste.
- Keep on fire.
- Boil. Simmer on low flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Add kasoori methi and remove from fire.
- Keep the makhani gray aside.
- Peel and flatten each piece or arbi.
- Sprinkle some salt and red chilli powder on it.
- Sprinkle dry besan.
- Overturn the pieces and sprinkle salt, red chilli and besan on the other side too.
- mix, so as to coat lightly.
- Heat oil on a large tawa, add half the arbi and sauté over medium heat till golden.
- Shift the fried arbi from the center to the sides (periphery) of the tawa.
- Add the rest of the arbi, fry and shift to the sides.
- In the same oil, add ajwain, when it turns golden, add chopped onions, grated ginger and green chilli and sauté for three minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt.
- Return the arbi to the center, add red chillies and half of the coriander.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add the prepared makhani gray and fry until the arbi is coated with the gravy.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Sprinkle lemon juice, garam masala and the remaining coriander.
- Stir and serve immediately.