Indian Music is rich in varieties with its many forms like classical music, folk music and Indian pop music. These varieties have many sub-varieties and India is a place where you can find some of the finest musicians in the world in all these categories. So, let look at some of the famous musicians of India and know more about them as well as their music form.
1. Ustad Bismillah Khan(1913-2006): Ustad Bismillah Khan was one of the prominent musicians of India who left of indelible mark on the history of music in India. He was born on 21 March 1916 in Buxar district of Bihar. He is an iconic figure in Indian music and his name always comes when we talk about Shehnai, a music instrument based on wind. He was a shehnai player and is known for his mesmerising Shehnai performance. He has played Shehnai on important national events in the history of India including the first Independence Day and the first Republic Day. Bismillah Khan was honoured with awards like the Bharat Ratna, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, and Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, among others.
2. Pandit Ravi Shankar(1920-2012): Pandit Ravi Shankar was known for his contribution to Hindustani Classical music. He was also one of the best players of sitar till date. Ravi Shankar was born on 7 April 1920 in Varanasi. He became one of the most prolific music maestros of 20th Century with admirers across the globe. He was bestowed with many awards and honours during his lifetime including the highest civilian award in India, Bharat Ratna.
3. Hariprasad Chaurasia(born 1938): Hariprasad Chaurasia is a leading flautist of India in Hindustani Classical music and a master of the bamboo flute. He was born on 1 July 1938 in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. He was a son of a wrestler who went against family traditions and became a musician. He met Pandit Bholanath Prasanna in Varanasi and under his guidance started learning flute and became one of the prominent flautists of India. He has been awarded several awards including the Padma Shree and Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India.
4. R.D. Burman(1939-2004): Rahul Dev Burman was a leading figure in the Indian music between the 1960s to 1990s who introduced western western tunes in the Hindi music industry. He was born on 27 June 1939 in Calcutta(present Kolkata) to music-oriented family. He also became a music composer and director of Hindi music and composed music for 331 films during his lifetime. He composed music for some of the famous singers of that time including Asha Bhosle, Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar. He created a blend of Indian innovation and music inspired by Arabian and Persian music. His songs always sounded fresh to the ears of people and still continue to be evergreen songs.
5. A.R. Rahman(born 1967): A.R. Rahman is a living legend in the Indian music. He is a singer, composer and music producer who works predominantly in the Tamil and Hindi movies. He was born on 6 January 1967 as A.S. Dileep Kumar. He has revolutionised the Indian music over the last two decades. He is one of the world’s all-time best-selling recording artist. He has won many awards and honours in his name like Academy Awards, two Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, a BAFTA award, four National awards, fifteen Filmfare Awards, among others.