Savor this Dundee cake made with glace cherries, almonds, raisins and currants.
110 gms currants
50 gms chopped mixed peel
110 gms golden raisins
50 gms ground almonds
225 grms butter
225 gms castor sugar
3 tblsp blanched almonds
Grated rind of one lemon
1 tsp cherry
350 gms plain flour
110 gms raisins
- Grease and line a 18cm cake tin.
- In a bowl mix together golden raisins, peel, ground almonds, currants, raisins and cherries.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter till soft then add castor sugar and the lemon rind and beat till light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs together and then gradually add to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder in a separate container and sift it well and add to the creamed mixture along with the cherry and all the dried fruits mix together earlier.
- Pour this mixture into the greased tin, try to create a hollow in the center and cover that center with the almonds.
- Bake this cake for 2 1/2 – 3 hours at 325 degrees F or till a skewer pricked into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- When done cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes and then let it cool completely on a wire rack.