Chicken Biryani is the most ordered and liked rice preparation in India. Here is an easy chicken biryani recipe. North or south Indian chicken biryani has its own regional recipes.
Total Time: 1 hr + 3 hrs Marinating
3/4 kg Chicken Pieces
1 cup beaten Yogurt (curd)
3 sliced onion
1 medium Tomato chopped 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Roasted cumin powder
2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1/2 tsp Green Cardamom Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 cup Warm Milk
Saffron a pinch
Salt to taste
7 tbsp Ghee / Oil Grind to Paste: 1 tsp Ginger Paste
1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
1/4 cup Coriander Leaves
1/4 cup Mint Leaves
3 -4 Green Chillies
For garnish 2 tbsp Green Coriander Leaves
2 tblsp Mint Leaves (Pudina)
First make a fine paste of all the ingredients under the Grind to paste using a tablespoon of water.
- Mix tomato puree, yogurt, green paste made earlier, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. Stir well.
- Marinate the chicken with this mixture and keep aside for 3-4 hours in refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the onions until golden brown.
- In a small bowl take the warm milk and soak the saffron in it and keep aside.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now add the beaten curd and chopped tomato and cook further till the oil separates.
- Check the salt at this stage as later you cannot add the salt.
- Now add the rice and mix well with soft hand as not to break the rice grains.
- Add 4 cups of water to the rice. Mix saffron in milk and add to it.
- Add cardamom powder. Stir once.
- Cover the lid and cook on low flame till the rice is done.
- Take it out on a rice platter.
- Garnish with green coriander and mint leaves and serve hot.
- This chicken biryani goes well with mix vegetable raita.