A fruity chicken tagine with olives and sweet potato. Reuben recommends the use of South African fruit.
- Cuisine: African
- Recipe Type: Main
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp red chilli flakes
- 4 peaches, skinned
- 1 small sweet potato cut into bite-size pieces
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 125 ml water
- 90 g Kalamate olives, pitted
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 50 g raisins
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- Heat the oil in a large, wide frying pan over medium heat and add the onion and chicken.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink
- Stir in ginger, garlic and seasonings.
- Add peaches, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and their juice, water, olives and salt.
- Stir. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally until potato is soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in raisins, salt and pepper to taste. Serve over couscous or rice, sprinkled with pinenuts and coriander.
By Reuben Riffel for South African fruit.