Total Time: 1 hr + 3 hrs Marinating
2 small Onions grinded
2 tomatoes grinded
70 gms Ginger Garlic Paste
1/2 tblsp Red Chilly Powder
1 tsp Jeera Powder
2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 Cup Beaten Dahi (Yogurt)
2 Green Chilly Slit
2 Dry Red Chilly
1 tsp Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)
1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
1 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana)
4 tblsp Mustard Oil
Salt to Taste
Few Curry Leaves
- Take a bowl and mix together curd, ginger garlic paste, red chilly powder, jeera powder, coriander powder, green chillies and salt. Mix well.
- Then add chicken pieces. Mix well so that all the chicken pieces are well coated with the marinade. Cover and keep aside for 3 – 4 hours.
- Later heat mustard oil in a kadai and add dry red chillies and then all the whole spices – Nigella Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Fennel Seeds and Fenugreek Seeds.
- When the seeds begin to sputter add the curry leaves and then add the onions. Saute till the onion paste becomes brown. Keep scraping it frequently.
- Now add the tomato paste. Cook it till all the raw smell disappears. Now add the marinated chicken pieces.
- On a high flame cook the chicken pieces till half done. Time may vary from 10 – 15 minutes. Keep stirring continuously so that all the chicken pieces get nicely cooked. The color will change to brown. Make sure the marinade does not get burnt.
- When you get the desired brown color add water to get your desired consistency and cover it and cook on low flame.
- Occassionally stir it and once the chicken is cooked well and the oil separates, dish it out and serve with preferred roti or naan.
- Tip:To make it sourer you can add little tamarind pulp in the end too.